Saturday, February 28, 2009

Lucky him

As I finished up my cardio work-out at the gym the other day, I was approached by a tall, lanky elderly man. He commented on the color of my skin and then asked me where I was from. I told him, and apparently he had spent the last 40 years in L.A., where he raised a family. Now, he has recently moved back to Mumbai where he was born, to live out his days in a retirement community. He beamed at the convenience of his new housekeepers, maids and cooks - which he did not enjoy the luxury of having in the USA.

As I mentioned that I was indeed the only white-skinned person at the gym, he answered that no, he had also spoken to a tall gentleman recently who was also from the States. I said that that is my husband, and confirmed we were talking about the same man by pointing out his beard.

At that, the elderly man said the following:

"Well, you know, that beard isn't fully grown out, and he's lucky. If it was any longer, I'd think he was a Muslim!"

I laughed awkwardly, we said our "nice talking to you"'s, and I walked away with a grin - man, that guy must be pretty uncomfortable walking around this city then, what with such a large proportion of Muslims! I almost felt sorry for him.

No comments: