Wednesday, February 18, 2009

In our Universe


What a week in the first grade universe.

- A little boy lied about it being his birthday, and we didn't know he was lying until his mother dropped off his uniform an hour AFTER the class had sung Happy Birthday to him. Why did he lie? It's a mystery hidden in his look of shame upon being questioned. 

- Three struggling kids got their first full marks on the weekly spelling test. I just about fell over. 

- The usual, and not so usual, bathroom emergencies occurred. I won't go into detail. 

- One girl came down with the measles. Not a pretty sight! 

- A certain animated yet shy boy spotted a mosquito on his chair during class and let out a perfectly-pronounced announcement while leaping out of his chair: "MO-SKEE-TOW!!!!!" I wish he'd pay that much attention to lessons.

- Our helper quit. I don't know why - something about false rumours or not working a lot. Anyway, she's gone, and we're lucky to get a sweeping after the day is over now - I'm getting better at the natural-grass broom. I agree with my dad's wife - highly superior over plastic ones. 

- A local radio station came to record the kids for a Valentine's Day show. They didn't really seem like they knew what they were doing, but the kids definitely had a blast, dancing, shouting and singing. 

No comments: