Friday, March 14, 2008

Trains today

Had a good day at work - did a lot of brainstorming and am helping coordinate the how the new school will operate on a daily basis.

I left at the same time as a co-worker so took a train home with her. She gets off at the stop before mine, so we rode together, which was really nice, although I went on the 2nd class train with her instead of 1st class like I usually go by myself, and we had nice conversation, but while crowded like sardines - oh well! I always take the ladies' car, so at least it's just other women I'm crowded in with.

The price difference: 2nd class -- 7 rupees // 1st class -- 87 rupees. Pretty significant!

The only difference in 1st class is that people have to pay a lot more, so there's not as many people -- otherwise it's the same train car.

Today in the train car I was squished with, among many, many others, women in every color of sari and salwar kameez you can imagine, and some you've never imagined, a woman holding a large drum, and old woman trying to sit on the floor, business-like women, muslim women in full black cover, little school boys (they're allowed to ride the ladies' car until 12 years old).... and the list goes on.

Always someone or something to look at!

No comments: