Monday, March 31, 2008

Kanheri Caves

We finally got out of the city. Our first venture out in more than a
month.

Just north of the city (actually, surrounded by the city) is Sanjay
Ghandi National Park, a 104-square kilometer protected area of
jungle. It is the dry season, so it was pretty dry and hot (they
haven't had rain here since probably September). However, we're keen
to go back once the rains come, because you can tell it gets filled
in with greenery.

We rode the local trains about 1 1/2 hours to get there, and then
took a short "van" ride to the caves. They are part of a Buddhist
monastery that is 1,900 years old. They are a bunch of homes and
temples that were carved out of a giant rock outcropping at the top
of a hill in the jungle. It was quite impressive - kind of reminded
me of the Anasazi cliff-dwellings.

We found one old monk's cave and sat on the steps of his "porch". We
had a view of the city way off in the distance. The air was
surprisingly clear, even in the city. But out at the park, we
actually saw blue sky and clouds - another first in India. Sitting
on the steps, with no one around, I actually had 15 minutes of peace
- nothing but birds and cicadas. No horns, traffic, motors, people,
etc. It was literally the first time we've had peace since early
February when we went camping north of San Francisco.

Today (Monday) was even clearer - so I snapped a couple of photos
from our apartment so you can see the difference. I also got a photo
from the other side of our apartment, looking out over the bay (which
is usually lost in the smog).

Work is busy for both of us, and I am now helping out at a center
twice a week with some 11-14 year old kids. They are pretty well-
behaved; I think I lucked out. It's nice to get out of the office
and help someone that can really use some help. Plus my work said I
didn't have to make up the hours...my job is pretty much just get the
work done and who cares how many hours it takes you. Most of my co-
workers take naps at their desk, and half of them don't even show up
2 days out of the week.

Click on the Flickr link to see the photos.

--Will (& Serenity)

No comments: