Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A few things seen

A few more days left, then we're back to the desert of Dubai. I want to see more and more of the beautiful Afghan mountains surrounding us. It'll have to wait until the next visit.

From my point of view, I have been extremely limited in what I've been able to see and do... which has been basically not much at all. This because of the organization I'm working with. And I'm learning that this is not the kind of thing I fit into...

Yet, on the bright side, the Afghani people I have met have seemed to be nothing but kind and warm, and I have a very positive impression of the country's potential and its past. Also, there are many, many people here who are working for the good of their country. No matter what is seen on the news, the vast majority of the country is just like any other place - people are trying to work to make a living and support their families.

I wish we didn't have to leave. But I'm also ready for some fresh air and a long walk.

I'm more interested than ever in learning first-hand about Muslim society in all its cultural forms. I can get used to the head scarf in no time, if it means access to such rich history and engaging conversations. Why this is all so interesting, I'm not exactly sure, but I do know I feel more comfortable every day, and excited to meet more people.

In any event, we have made some good contacts here, and I think it will lead to many more adventures in the future.

No comments: